[legup-announce] LegUp 1.0 Release

Andrew Canis acanis at eecg.toronto.edu
Wed Mar 16 00:00:08 EDT 2011

LegUp 1.0 Release

The first LegUp 1.0 release is now available for download!
            http://legup.org/download.php

LegUp is a high-level synthesis research infrastructure that we've
been working on at the University of Toronto for the past year.
Check out our FPGA 2011 paper for a detailed overview of the project.

How is LegUp different from other high-level synthesis tools?
 - The source code is available
 - We include a test suite to verify circuit correctness using simulations

What are the goals of the LegUp project?
 - To make FPGAs easier to program
 - To help researchers develop new high-level synthesis algorithms

What is included in this release?
 - C to Verilog high-level synthesis tool. Tested on Linux 32/64-bit.
 - C Benchmarks: CHStone benchmark suite and dhrystone
 - Tiger MIPS processor from the University of Cambridge

What is the input high-level lanagage?
 - ANSI C without recursive functions, dynamic memory, or floating point
 - Functions, arrays, structs, global variables, and pointers are supported

What is the output?
 - Verilog that can be simulated with Modelsim and synthesized using Quartus II
 - The synthesized circuits have been verified in hardware using an Altera DE2

Does LegUp support software/hardware partitioning?
 - Yes. We call this the LegUp hybrid flow. You can specify a list of functions
   to synthesize into hardware accelerators. The rest of the program is left
   running on a soft MIPS processor and hardware/software communication
   interfaces are generated automatically.

What high-level synthesis algorithms are supported?
 - ASAP scheduling
     - Operator chaining, pipelined functional units
 - Binding using bipartite weighted matching

How are the quality of results?
 - We've found that the area-delay product averaged over our benchmarks is
   compariable to eXCite, a commercial high-level synthesis tool.

What are you planning for the next release?
 - Loop pipelining using modulo scheduling and the LLVM Polly polyhedral
   optimization framework

When are you planning the next release?
 - In about 6 months

If you have questions, patches, and suggestions please email them to the LegUp
development mailing list: legup-dev at legup.org

If you find a bug in LegUp, please file it in our Bugzilla.

Cheers,
Andrew Canis